Monday, March 02, 2009

And the colour race never ends

We see them everywhere.

They're the jerks who pushed you off the swing when you were a kid; they were the ones who tugged at your hair when you were with your toys; they were the ones who stomped on your sandcastle even though you spent ages building it; they were the ones who threw spiteful remarks about your skin colour and hair; they were the ones who made crude remarks about your parents and heritage; and the list goes on...



These are the fools who throw their lives around without realizing how much of an impact they had done to others.


I can't help but look back at how dreadful my youth had been, with my ears being deafened by the rude comments made about my skin colour, my heritage, and even being accused for things that I didn't do.


At the tender age of six, I received my first racial remark about my skin colour. Being that young, I thought the kid had issues with himself and so I didn't bother. But as I grew older, it became more and more aware of the remarks made by the majority about the minority, and became more and more confused as to why this was happening.


I once got called up by a teacher because I dissed some shop in Causeway Point for laying a racist remark about Indians in front of me, thinking that I had no clue as to what she was saying in Mandarin. She was so wrong.


Just a few years back, I used to hate myself for being a few darker tones than the majority. I lost confidence and become more self conscious. It was like an obsession. And it was all because of the racist remarks that I got just by being darker skinned.

But a few years later, I realized that all this bullshit was pretty much a waste of time. Like me or hate me, I don't give a bloody damn about it. Ooooh look, I'm rolling my eyes at you.


I used to sneer whenever someone complimented on Singapore being a cosmopolitan country. True enough, Singapore is doing a remarkable job in attracting foreigners over, but things don't seem to be getting anywhere near being "over" over Racism.


I'm not saying that all majorities are racists. Well, this isn't really about Racism either, just some parts. Read on and you'll get what I mean.


Well, we can't really blame Singapore though. Because everyone makes mistakes. And with about six billion people on Earth, we're bound to affect those around us. And some of us may even take things to a whole new level. Why? Because amongst us, there are jerks who not only find the joy in tormenting us with harsh racial critics, but they think it's cool. These are the jerks who shun empathy and disregard others. Why?

Well, just take a moment and look through them. You'll notice that at the bottom most pit of their heart, they think they're better than you. You see, once they get the kick of insulting you, they get addicted to it, just like how one can get addicted to marijuana. And once the insults start, it never ends, because with this title of superiority, it boosts their ego and gives them this mindset that they're not only better than you, but the world. In fact, they think everyone owes them a living. And they don't really care you who are, they're just ever ready to stomp hard on you and your friends.


And if you're of a different skin tone than them, more like of the minority type, it gets worst. Because they'll throw in racist remarks, sometimes which makes no sense at all, just for the kicks of it.


Now you you're of a darker tone than the majority in Singapore, then you'd face this problem pretty often whenever you get a job. And that is, 'Do you speak Chinese?'. As much as you have in qualifications and somewhat, you're not hired, just because you couldn't speak Mandarin.

Now it is understandable that hospitals should have Mandarin/ Dialect speaking people just so that there would be no language barrier with the folks over there. But be mindful that there too are other ethnic groups who are living in the same hospital.


I went to a Food Court far from home and boy was I shocked to see the place being run by China workers. I'm not saying I dislike them or anything. But it was really hard for me to buy food because, despite being obviously darker skin tone than a Chinese, the stall vendors spoke to me in Mandarin, and I had a pretty tough and awkward time trying to understand what they were saying and at the same time, having to have them understand what I was saying.


Here comes the hard truth people, and it is, that all men and women were created equally. But we don't usually stay the same for long. Because each of us have our own way of living, and some of us work hard to strive towards our goals. Upon being successful, one learns to appreciate whatever he/she has around him, and have an acceptance of good justice and equality.


And to those who feel like they're superior, this is the time where they would leech off of society. Because by doing nothing, the attention soon dies away from them. They start becoming all bitter because at the end of the day, it is their title of superiority that keeps them from becoming anything at all.


Their title of superiority has in turn taken a toll on them and by becoming nothing, it means that all their "achievements" have slowly slipped into the drain. Wasted.


So my dear friends, the next time you think of stepping up to the plate to being someone more superior than your peers, look over your shoulders and see if anyone's backing you up. If there isn't then that means that you have wronged somewhere. Let it go, and ensure that it does not repeat itself. Because you never know if you might willingly step into the dark side of becoming a nobody.

A little "joke" I found off of Ash's blog.

black man says to white man.
"When i was born,I black
When i grow up,I black.
When i go up in the sun,i black
When i scared,i black.
When i sick,i black.
When i bruise,i black.
And when i die,i still
black.

but you white folks,
"When you born,you pink.
when you grow up you white.
when you go in the sun,you red
when you cold,you blue.
when you scared,you yellow.
when you sick,you green.
when you bruised,you purple
And when you die you grey.
SO WHO YOU CALLING
COLOURED?




Loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment