Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kiasu-ness runs in the blood.

Okay, so the trip down to my new school was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was pouring heavily and smart ass mum and I did not bring an umbrella, and we pretty much ended up pushing the blame to each other as we walked by the underpass to the Convention Centre.


The place was pretty neat, I guess. But while I was there, there were a pretty good number of screw ups (isn't there always screw ups here and there?). Fortunately, there were pretty nice people who fell victim to both my mum's and my interrogation.


When we started bombarding them with questions, many started scratching their heads. Some even had this expression smeared on their faces.



Clearly, they were not ready for our questions. And they even referred us to their "Consultant". So there we were, two figures walking about the Convention Centre, from level one to level two, then back to level one, then level two again, before ending off with level one.


Many who served us and saw that we being directed to the same counters over and over again (without having our questions answered), couldn't help but chuckle. I have no idea whether they were laughing at us, or with us, seeing that we, my mum especially, was moving about frantically, as though any second late in her steps would blow up the entire place.



Oh well, it's still better to ask everything to clear my doubts, than to walk about with no idea as to what is going on.



I was pretty frustrated because their "enquiry" section had little sections in it, there was one for laptops, one for school, one for scholarships, one for loans, one for forms, one for camps.


I'm not really complaining, but I thought it would be better if they knew more of the other little sections to ensure that we did not have to move about with misinformation. Finally, we managed to clear our doubts with someone at the place where we began with, at level one.


Both of us blamed no one but ourselves for being "kiasu" as to ask about when we could have simply walked up to the guy at the entrance who answered all our questions.


But despite answering my questions, I wasn't able to get my laptop there and then, which I am actually thankful, because it'll allow me more time to check out the laptops that I wanted to choose from.


Oh the dilemma...




The more I check on the reviews online and in person, the more I find things confusing.

Different people had different feedbacks on their laptops and to make things worst, a certain brand that I liked, had the most negative reviews.



But then again, it all depends on how well I look after the laptop.... Right?






What was memorable about the trip was not the gawky or paranoid faces from those who were questioned by us. What was memorable was the puzzled look on their faces when they tried answering my questions.






There I was, dressed in my "Lazy" outfit, with my monk bag. I had dyed hair, and a lip piercing. Many pictured me as a "rebellious Minah" but after seeing my ID and hearing the way I speak, they were confused. And to make matters more confusing for them, I had my mum introduced. And to make matters even worst, my mum spoke in Malay to some, Hokkien to some and English to the rest.

And some who were brave enough, spoke to me in Malay, and there I was, helpless, trying to tell them that I wasn't a Malay. Fortunately, my mum came to my rescue.


And to top the day off, I got to talk to a staff that was really helpful, and he labelled me as a "Malay looking girl who is actually Indian but speaks Chinese".


Puzzling.






Loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment