Thursday, November 06, 2008

True Act of Singaporeans

I went out again yesterday, took the MRT, and returned home feeling rather uncomfortable.

The MRT ride to and fro made me see the true colours of Singaporeans, or at least, the people living in Singapore. It made me question whether or not Singa the courtesy Mascot is doing his job.


The journey from home was rather uncomfortable. The train was not at crowded as it used to be and everyone had a place to sit. And there I was, trying to sleep when I was disturbed by the most obscene thing ever. Apparently, I was seated at the corner seats, and there was this guy who was leaning against the glass. What was disturbing was the action of constantly squishing and moving his butt up and down, against the glass, and I had the full view of it! The mere sight of it wrecked my hunger for sleep, and so I stayed awake, by zombie- ly reading my Reader's Digest.


The journey back home wasn't that great either. There I was, in the overly packed train, seeing teenagers, around my age, blocking the entrances of the doors by literally sitting by them. I used to sit by doors to, but I always say at the doors that rarely opened, and if they did, I always got up a stop before they opened.


To make matters worst, there was a pregnant lady on board, with a pram, and NO ONE actually gave up their sits for her! On one of the stops, the pram nearly toppled and luckily there was another elderly guy who gave up his seat to save it. What a great country, elderly giving up seats for the pregnant/other elderly.

This has not been the first time where I saw elderly giving up seats for others. In fact, there have been other incidents whereby youths, or young adults actually pretended to fall asleep so that they "did not see" the others who need it more.

There have also been incidents where an elderly gave up his seat for someone, and another person actually rushed and sat on the seat!



And I hate it whenever there are couples on board. It's either they start hugging and do all the mushy mushy stuff, or the girl would lean against the pole, with the guy's hand on her waist or something, totally preventing others from holding onto the pole to prevent themselves from falling.


I wonder if Singapore is really proud of its people. I just hope the foreigners that come to Singapore don't learn from us, and do the same thing to others.




By the way,
OBAMA WON! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment