Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Raging Hormones

Yesterday was a somewhat tiring day. I woke up earlier that I expected, and so accompanied my mum to her cooking class in Toa Payoh.



It was at the Toa Payoh Student Service Center. It seemed like an after-school daycare, where kids from kindergarten to primary school, come to this center to make friends, read books, use the computer and sign up for activities like the one my mum conducted.


Well, we arrived rahter early, and we were let to a classroom. When we opened the door, we were really surprised. It was really small, like half the size of the containers we used during tutorials in Primary School. The floor was carpeted, there were no sinks, and the place was filled with chairs with "tablets", the ones attached to the chair, where you could flip it about.


My mum and I exchanged gazes and then we approached one of the staffs who helped us clear the area. We then used the dusty tables that were stored behind the class. We carried and arranged the long tables so that it could fit 14 students, and my mum and I.


Then the kids started coming in. Attendance was marked by me, while my mum distributed the items to the individuals. After that was done, we then started teaching the kids step by step, of how to make the non-baking Shepard Pie, and Fruit Salad.


I must say, the kids there were really disciplined. They were very focused on their task, peeling and mashing both the eggs and potatoes. They listened to every instructions we gave. And despite having some who complained about how tiring it was to smash the potatoes, all of them completed their tasks.


Kids being kids, they definitely did shriek in excitement when my mum gave them extra toppings for their fruit salad. Some even "fought" as they stole and ate each other's sausage used in the Shepard Pie. Some accidentally flung eggs on the floor, while others stepped on them. "Aww, gross!" could be heard every now and then. Despite them being only primary school kids, they used terms that "bimbos" used at our age. Hahah


The class was to be conducted from 2 pm to 5 pm. But due to the miscommunication and having to rearrange the chairs and tables, we started at 2.30pm. We expected the class to be slow in their work, but they impressed us and completed their tasks by 3.45 pm. With an hour and a quarter to go, my mum left to buy some sweets, leaving me with them.


That gave me a chance to get to know them better. I played word games with them, like asking them to create new words from the words "Summerville Language Centre". I know it was pretty lame, but they immediately busied themselves with it.


While waiting for my mum to come back, and for them to complete it, I decided to chat with them. I got to know some of their names, whether they had other siblings, and whether they liked the class conducted. They were shy at first, only nodding and shaking their heads. But overtime, they did share a thing or two about themselves.


I then told them that back when I was in school, I hated word games and would always make up disgusting words like anus and mucus. They found it hilarious and actually took down the words. When my mum came back, she told them to get at least 50 words to win a prize. There were definitely "huh.."s along the way, but all of them cooperated by sharing answers with each other.


Once the time limit was up, my mum made them line up to hand her their work. One girl who many said cheated because she was a P6, actually gave a whopping 137 words. She was declared the winner, but in the end, everyone got sweets, but the winner got the most.


There was still extra time, so everyone sat around my mum and I as we simply talked. That was when I realized that kids especially the boys despite being that young, had raging hormones.


We talked about the ingredients used, and my mum simply said "it'll be nicer if you used chicken breast", and that set the whole class bursting in laughter. A P2 boy who had a twin said he wanted human breasts because there was milk. See what I mean?


There were also incidents where this kid kept leaning on me. I thought he just wanted attention, and so I just let him. But it got worst. He would step on my feet, bump my hand with his, and leaned on me every way possible. I found it pretty amusing that a kid that young could be "sexually interested" and thank god the class ended soon enough.


My mum and I then sent them off, waving and hugging some of them. Then there was this boy, by the name of Brandon. He had a sister who was in the class too. He was really slow when packing his bag and kept asking the sister to leave first. I knew he was up to something because he kept buckling and unbuckling his bag. The sister was really bubbly girl and I kept joking around with her, and even helped her in the word challenge.

I guess the sister just didn't realize the awkwardness and how much he wanted her to leave first, and so she waited for him. When his attempt to make her leave first was in vain, he pushed her infront of him as he walked past me. He then quickly pushed a piece of paper and clenched my hand. He then dashed out of the door , but in a very "cool" way. It was really adorable.


When I opened my fist, I realized he actually made an origami "rabbit", I think.



Photobucket




Check out the "Miss Kethlyn". Hahah, it's actually the first time I had a class addressing me as a "Miss", it was usually "Jie Jie".


Well, I think the origami is adorable, having it come from a kid who's much younger than me.


I always tell my friends that if guys gave me pieces of origami hearts or swans and expects me to feel touched, I would not really be bothered about it and would contemplate to whether or not throw it away, because I think that it is very much a waste of time. I mean impressing a girl should come from your character and style, not how many hours you put in to making something that can't be used.


But despite saying that, I do keep all the stuff that people, both guy friends and girl friends, have made for me. And this origami "rabbit" will definitely be in the collection of gifts from others.




Till then



Loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment