Saturday, January 24, 2009

If mother's were flowers, my mum would be the most beautiful one

When I went for the interview at TP, I was asked "What inspires you to be a teacher?"

My answer was, "My mother. Believe it or not, my mother is the most versatile person that I know. When I was little, I would tag along as she taught in her child care class. I would see that for hours and hours as I watched her in admiration. She taught phonics, art, music and movement, and about anything you needed her to do. She pushed a van that had broken down when she was having me in her tummy. She fixed pipes, climbed rooftops, and with her creativity, built or made things that were useful as tools around the house. She showed me that one had to be very patient when dealing with children. And I loved how the kids felt so comfortable around her. Adding the fact that my mum would talk about games, and ask them about themselves. Can you imagine how the kids felt, eyes all sparkly when they told their tales in excitement. My mum built a firm foundation for the kids, and that was not only through education, but by also making them into responsible and well mannered kids. Through her, I learned to love kids, and through her, I want to be there for the kids, and guide them through their journey in life. You don't have to be a mother to teach, but to teach, you have to be like a mother to the kids. And I want to be just that, just like my mum, to aid kids towards their success in the future".


I of course, exceeded the 1 minute limit that was given. But I guess, I made it a point to them that I did not look up to someone who was distances away, but someone who is just a few steps away, someone I love, and who loves me back.



Well, when I was younger, I never understood why my mother would always stand by the window to watch us as we make our way to the MRT or Bus. When we were away in camps or when my brother was in NS, she would check her phone every five minutes to wait for our calls. She always stayed up late to wait for us to return home, and there were many times where we came home and found her snoozing on the chair.

And sometimes, even though she was unwell, she would wake up early just to make breakfast for us. She would sit with us as we ate, and only go back to sleep after she saw us off.

Even when she was in Thailand or Malacca, she would call back every now and then to check in on us.



But all that, would of course be accompanied by nags. She would nag at us if we did things last minute. Sometimes she scolded us for not being independent enough, but when we did do things on our own, she would come in and do it for us. Then she would scold us again for doing things too slowly, or last minute. She always busied herself with out things, even when we could do fine on our own.

In an obvious way, my brothers and I are really pampered by her.


Sometimes, it annoys(it's not that we don't want her around, but she's a busy woman, and needs her rest!) us that she would rather stay up just to make sure that we have had our meals, rather than have an early sleep. And she would peep to check on whether we were doing fine, and would jump at the chance when we needed help. And how she always eat last so that there's enough food for us all. And how she'll eat the "not so nice" food, and let us have the nice ones. I guess that's what mothers are like, huh.


And the countless times she defended us against our dad (he's not the bad guy. It's just that having Commando parents is pretty tough sometimes. But it's a miracle my mum is brain washed at all.) And the times when she felt eh urge to slap someone else for bragging about their kids. She always treated us as the best of the lot. And she too, is the best of the lot.

She may nag alot, but then again, it's funny to see her kalang kabut around the house. And then when she realizes that we're laughing at her, she'll scold us and then have her revenge! Well, we treat her pretty much like our friend rather than mom. We'll tumble on top of her, hit her (jokingly), do things to make her ter pranjat, or just make fun of her. She too has her moments where she makes fun or imitates us.

Her "in" word right now? 'So gross', 'so lame', 'duh', 'whatever'. Hahaha, it's funny when she does it because she practically imitates me or my brother Vernon when we say it.



Anyway, a while back, more like many years ago, my brother and I bought a book for my mother, for her birthday.


You must be thinking "
wah lao.. birthday leh. Treat her go spa or buy something she wants lah. Buy book, somemore both of you share... Damn gonndu man".


What can I say! I was only 8! And before you stomp to my home to smack me on the head, let me say that the book that we bought was actually SPECIAL.


Photobucket


Yes, that is the book.

It's about the size of your palm, and well, that's not the only special part.


What's the most special is the content inside. This mini book is actually a book of 43 quotes for mothers, be it quotes with heartwarming effect, or cheeky ones. And to those who still don't understand and love your moms enough, read, understand, then read these quotes to your mom. I'm sure it'll make a difference.


  1. When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. - Sophia Loren
  2. Mothers are the most incisive philosophers. - Harriet Beecher Stowe
  3. Instant availability without continuous presence is probably the best role a mother can play. - Lotte Bailyn
  4. A mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after. - Peter De Vries
  5. Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life. - Sophocles
  6. Moter is the name for God in the lips and hearts for children. - William Makepeace Thackarey
  7. There's no such thing as a non-working mother. - Hester Mundis
  8. Now, as always, the most automated appliance in the house is the Mother. - Beverly Jones
  9. If dreams were born where gardens grow, and mums were flowers, I'd pick you.
  10. Whatever you would have your children become, strive to exhibit in your own lives and conversation. - Lydia H Sigourney
  11. The quickest way for a mother to get her children's attention is to sit down and loo comfortable. (This is so true! I guess, it's become a habit (I'm sure for you guys too) for my brothers and I to disturb her whenever she's comfy. But we do know when to draw the line.)
  12. A mother's love is a garden where the Sun always shines and the season is always spring.
  13. No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement. - Florida Scott-Maxwell
  14. A mother's love and tender care, makes happiness bloom everywhere.
  15. Who ran to help me when I fell, and would some pretty story tell, or make it well? My Mother. - Ann & Jane Taylor
  16. Who takes the children by the hand, takes the mother by the heart. - German Proverb
  17. The more people study different methods of bringing up children, the more they have come to the conclusion that what good mothers and fathers instinctively feel like doing for their babies is the best after all. - Dr. Benjamin Spock
  18. It's a wise child that knows its own father, but its one child in a million who knows its mother.
  19. This would be a better world for children if parents had to eat the spinach. - Groucho Marx 'Animal Crackers'
  20. I have reached the age when a woman starts to percieve that she is growing into the person she least plans to resemble: her mother. - Anita Brookner
  21. Motherhood is the most emotional experience of one's life. One joins a kind of women's mafia. - Janet Suzman 'Observer'
  22. To become a mother is not hard, to be a mother is.
  23. Children aren't happy with nothing to ignore. And that's what parents are created for. - Ogden Nash
  24. The are of being a parent consist of sleeping when the baby isn't looking. - American Proverb
  25. A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary. - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
  26. A mother's patience is like a tube of toothpaste - it's never quite all gone.
  27. The first half of our lives is ruined by our parents and the second half, by our children. - Clarence S Darrow
  28. Sweet little old lady wishes to correspond with six-foot student with brown eyes and answering the initials J.D.B - His mother (Advert in a student magazine)
  29. A mother's first gift is Life, the second is Love and the third is understanding.
  30. We never know the love of our parents for us until we have become parents. - Henry Ward Beecher
  31. There never was a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him alseep. - Emmerson 'Journals' 1836
  32. A mother knows all about children. She knows abour dentist appointments and footbal games and romances and best friends and favourite foods and secret fears and hopes and dreams. A father is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house.
  33. For the hand that rocks the cradle id the hand that rules the world. - William Ros Wallace 'What Rules The World'
  34. Parents are sometimes a bit of a disappointment to their children. They don't fulfill the promise of their early years. -Anthony Powell.
  35. They're a mysterious mob, mothers. - Robert Davies 'What's Bred In The Bone' 1986
  36. A baby is an alimentary canal with a loud voice at one end and no responsibility at the other. - E Adamson
  37. Even when freshly washed and relieved od all obvious infections, children tend to be sticky. - Fran Lebowitz
  38. A mother's love trancends time and circumstances and endures forever.
  39. Mother is another word for love.
  40. The most difficult thing for a mother to remember is that other people have perfect children too.
  41. Parents are the bone on which children cut their teeth. - Peter Ustinov
  42. Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur. - Alvin Toffler.
  43. The joys are never fully experienced until all the children are in bed.


Which quote do you like? Mine are : 6, 9, 11, 22, 25, 26, 29 and 33.



I hope this had made a difference, because it sure has to me.


Loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment