Thursday, January 29, 2009

Awesome week spent with FAMILY

This year's Chinese New Year celebration had been an awesome one, as always. But instead of the usual Steamboat reunion dinner on the Eve of Chinese New Year, my family decided to have "hot plate" dishes! It was really good.

The first day of visiting was to all the eldest place. Dinner was then followed after at my Aunt Jessie's place. We had the traditional "Yu Sheng" but it was funny because none of us had any idea of what to say when the sauce was poured around it. So we giggled as we "anyhow hantam" well wishes in.

The food was really different. This time round, we had Japanese cuisine done by Aunt Jessie and Uncle AZ (He used to be a sailor!). Anyway, there were unique dishes everywhere, but what I liked the most was the baby Octopus(no, not squid but OCTOPUS! The head, tentacles, all could be seen clearly, seriously!) that were served cold, in some reddish sauce. It was really crunchy and sweet.

I'm going to hunt the place down to buy those baby octopus!!


There were rounds of bak gua and chicken? gua (it was bak gua but chicken) served. And who could forget the rounds of shots and wine.

Time was well spent by watching random shows like Hancock, or simply just sitting around, talking crap.

There were more visiting to do the next day, so all of us left early, at 12.



The nezxt day, we then headed to my Aunt MiMi's(she's the one who has a koren son, yup my cousin is half koren.) place. You see, the thing about my family, is that, we don't really follow the tradition of visiting the olders followed by the youngest. We just see who's home is "open" for us to "make noise". Afterall, the more the merrier right?


Well, the people from day 1 (Aunt Jessie's place) , all came for Day 2. So it was the same people. But this time, the food was different. The menu was Italian. We had home made pizza, spaghetti, loads of tar tar sauce, shrimps neatly arranged for dipping, onion soup (as followed from Delifrance) , special marinated chicken and many more, which I can't remember.


I had a good time there because it was really funny as how my mum and her siblings hassled about the house, putting up decorations (on the second day, can you believe it! Aunt MiMi said that she wasn't tall enough to hang the items). It was really nice seeing the "young at heart" talk about their time together when they were kids; the crazy things that they did back in the Kampong days.


The second day sort of ended in a bittersweet kind of way. It was embarressing to see how a kin of mine behaved "rather idiotically" as he was drunk.

Once an alchoholic, always an alchoholic. Oh well.

The day ended when we all headed for home around 2, because some of them had work the next day.



And well, after two days of hardcore stuffing of goodies into my face, I guess I have to pay the price, and that is, to sacrifice my voice! Yeah, I kinda' lost my voice. I wouldn't say I'm really happy about the scratchy throat thing, but no way am I giving up on the goodies even if it'll make me gain weight!



Well, no pictures, because as you know me, I'm still trying to kick the habit of not taking photos. Well, I'm trying....



And well, today's a rest day for me, mainly because I slept at 5 last night. Or rather, this morning. Oh, and I've given up my ugly hair colour already. I've made it Chestnut. So it's reddish, brownish, whateverish now! Hahah


Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment