Sunday, February 01, 2009

My Family Tree

I come from a long line of various races in my family. And I don't think it'll ever stop. Well, I hope not. And today, I shall reveal my family tree! Well, I'm actually not sure myself as to how many races there are.

Let's just start with my parents. Well, my dad's side doesn't really have a "happening" heritage. But I'm happy to be able to have a taste of Indian culture.

<span class=

Everything, from the colours used, clothing, music played, taste of food and even their dramas shown are one of a kind; Unique.

Now comes the complicated part, my mum's side. My grandma is actually a Peranakan straight from Malacca (
Melaka).

<span class=

This culture too had great food (Nyonya food and delicacies are a must try), fantastic creativity (they have traditional methods of beading to make shoes. They even sew their own designs on their
Kebaya. ), and strict rules.

On festive occasions, Nyonyas are known to sleep on tins with their hair decorated with pins. They have so much discipline in them, that when they wake up, not a strand of hair is out of place.

They also have strict rules when in the kitchen. From how to use the
anak lesong, to serving people, to "restricted words" that shan't be mentioned while cooking.

One has to be feminine when wearing the
kebaya. You wear clogs, or Nyonya slippers(modern) and have to walk slowly in them. Well, I'm both happy and sad that I do not have to follow the traditions. Happy, because I know that I'm bound to fail immediately. But sad, because this culture is dying out soon.

Anyway, if you wanna' read more about Peranakans, Click Here!


But truth to be told, my grandma is totally Peranakan. There's Javanese, Boyanese (Baweanese), Eurasian and so on.


Now this post is in fact not about showing off my family tree, well maybe alittle. But the main part actually has a lot to do with celebrations.

Chinese New Year is celebrated because, well, my mum's side is termed as Chinese. Deepavali is celebrated with my dad's side. My mum and brother are Christians, and my mum's side celebrates it as well, some are Catholics, whereas the rest... Just celebrate it for the joy of it. One of my aunt's fiance is a Malay, so we more or less have Hari Raya celebrations as well. We don't do the fasting and all, but we do eat!

Moving on...

Whenever I share with my friends, or strangers about my mixed heritage, most of them would go "wah, so good. Get to celebrate so many festivities. Sure got a lot of money right?".

Well, that's not really true. I know that celebrations are really about collecting money nor counting money, but I am going to talk about it. Sue Me.

Anyway, while most of you receive from both sides of your family on CNY/ Hari raya/Deepavali, I only receive half of it per celebration. Get what I mean? So you guys are actually more "blessed" to receive all the money in one celebration whereas I, have to wait till October/November to receive the second "round" of cash giving.

Who's the poor thing now? Hahah.

But if you're talking about food, yes, I am blessed to sample the various types of dishes. But you can too. Just head to the nearest Kopitiam, and order another races' dish. That'll do the trick.


Loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment