Friday, February 20, 2009

Nail Polish

Edited.


Okay, I know I'm supposed to be sleeping right not, but Mr. Sandman hasn't called me to bed yet.


Anyway, moving on to today's post. Yes, it's about Nail Polish.


nail polish Pictures, Images and Photos


nail polish Pictures, Images and Photos


Did you know that there is actually alot of information about nail polish in wikipedia? Seriously!

Nail polish seems to have been originated by the Chinese around 3000 B.C. The Japanese and Italians are thought to have been the first ones to actually use nail polish. The Chinese used a colored lacquer, made from a combination of Arabic gum, egg whites, gelatin and beeswax. They also used a mixture consisting of mashed rose, orchid and impatiens petals combined with alum.[citation needed] This mixture, when applied to nails for a few hours or overnight, leaves a color ranging from pink to red.

The Egyptians used reddish-brown stains derived from henna to color their nails as well as the tips of their fingers. Today, some people still use henna dyes to draw intricate, temporary designs on their hands in a practice known as Mehndi.

Chou Dynasty of 600 B.C., Chinese royalty often chose gold and silver to enhance their nails. A fifteenth-century Ming manuscript cites red and black as the colors chosen by royalty for centuries previous.[citation needed]

The Egyptians also used nail color to signify social order, with shades of red at the top. Queen Nefertiti,the wife of the king Akhenaton, colored her finger and toe nails ruby red; Cleopatra favored a deep rust red.[citation needed] Women of lower rank who colored their nails were permitted only pale hues. Incas were known for decorating their fingernails with pictures of eagles.[citation needed] It is unclear how the practice of coloring nails progressed following these ancient beginnings. Portraits from the 17th and 18th centuries include shiny nails.[1]. By the turn of the 19th century, nails were tinted with scented red oils and polished or buffed with a chamois cloth, rather than simply painted.[2]

In addition, English and US 19th century cookbooks contained directions for making nail paints. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, women still pursued a polished, rather than painted, look by massaging tinted powders and creams into their nails, then buffing them shiny.[2] One such polishing product sold around this time was Graf’s Hyglo nail polish paste.[2] Some women during this period painted their nails using a clear, glossy varnish applied with camel-hair brushes.[2] When automobile paint was created around 1920, it inspired the introduction of colored nail enamels.[2]

Nail polish contains nitrocellulose which is available in many different grades and is measured by viscosity. Nail grade nitrocellulose should be used for nail polish, as opposed to industrial grade which is available for use in furniture finishes, auto-paints and other various non-cosmetic lacquer finishes. Nail polish manufacturers are known to use industrial grade nitrocellulose covertly to save money, as it is half the price of the nail grade nitro. Cosmetic companies should be aware of this practice when they are choosing a pan manufacturer.

So now you know what to put on when you're heading overseas.


Anyway.......

Being a young girl back then, I was pretty much a nuisance, and I was vain. Not only did I wear dresses with sexy cuttings and posed in them, I played and pretty much messed around with my mum's make up.

And nail polish was one of those "toys" which I will never forget.

You see, being so vain back then, I would change the colour, once every... maybe every week? To make matters worse, my mum bought those coloured mascaras and I used them to dye strands of my hair. Yeah, I was that vain.


There was one day, and being the kid that I was, I decided to paint my oldest brother's toe a bright red. I only did one toe before he shooed me away. And well, I hid the remover from him, so that he couldn't remove it.


And unfortunately for him, there was a wedding we had to attend just a few days away. Being a national runner, his days were packed with trainings and more trainings in those smelly sports shoes. And on that day of the wedding, he totally had forgotten about the red toe nail! And to make matters worst, we were rushing, and he wore sandals!

Yeah, his toe was pretty much exposed and poor him had to literally bend his toe every now and again to hide it. Hahah.


Well, enough about that. The reason why I'm blogging about nail polish is actually about something else. You see, Jeanice had her nails done in hot pink. Hot pink nails drifted to glitter pink nails, then to hot pink alien blood, and finally to glow in the dark nails.


Now we thought that it would be cool for our make believe idea to come through, for us to have glow in the dark nails. I was bored, sue me. So I decided to do some google-ing. And not only did I find forums talking about glow in the dark nail polish, but there are the ones that change according to moods too!


Click Here for glow in the dark ones.

Click Here for colour changing ones


Now who doesn't want one?!?!?



They look pretty cool and I'm trying to find ones in Singapore, but it's still in vain though. Do tell me if you know of any shops okay!



Loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment