Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Day Out

2nd February was my mother's birthday. We didn't really celebrate it on that day. Instead, we did it on the 1st because my brother had to report back to camp. I must say, that it is really tough doing things behind my mum's back. She's always up and about, and really vigilant. The slightest move can let her know what'll we're up to.

So it was three in the afternoon and I told her to take a nap. I could see her eyes questioning mine, but she slept anyway. Then, it was my task to get the cake, cook the meals and make everything PERFECT. I marinated the meat and left it to soak up the flavour. Then I went to get my mum's cake.

Everything was last minute because none of my brothers told me anything until on that day itself. And I had to do everything. Oh well.

Back to the story..


So I headed to the shop and couldn't find any Dark Forest Cake (my mum's fave). There were only chocolate cakes and tiramisu, and their excuse was because it was Chinese New Year. Stupid or what.

My mum doesn't like chocolate. And we've been eating tiramisu ice-cream for the past few days. So I called my brothers as I paced up and down in the shop. The shop keeper must've thought that I was some kind of amateur thief who panicked at the last minute. Hahah.

Both of them said the same thing "Aiyah, take anything lah". It was so easy for them to say it, I wish I was the one saying it. So I bought a vanilla fruit cake. It was the best I could find. Besides, it isn't too sweet for my diabetic mum.


Made my way home, and my intelligent brother did not stall time for me. I entered my home with a cake in my hands, with my mum greeting me in the kitchen.


Then I found out that she doesn't really like vanilla cakes because of the strong essence. Another bummer.

And the worst of all, she was cooking the meat which I marinated! When I shoo-ed her away, she said "this is my kitchen, why can't I stay here". She was right. It is HER kitchen, and so I stood alongside her, cooking the meal that was meant for her.


We cut the cake before my brother left, and then I found out that these sort of cakes were meant for old people, because it wasn't sweet. So I said that I cared for her, since she had Diabetes. And she actually agreed to my statement.


Fast forward to the next day...


I don't like the idea of not getting gifts for someone's birthday. And being my mum, she always denies wanting anything. And she always keepsour gifts for her because when asked she'll say "sayang mah. Use already then no more how?". Ya lah, keep until evaporate/spoil/cannot use already lah, then more sayang right.

So instead of buying things for her, I brought her out, my treat! She didn't want anything fancy, and letting her pick the place was the worst idea ever. Because instead of relaxing herself at some Spa, or doing shopping spree, my mum chose the library. So on her birthday, she spend the entire day at the library. I actually had a good time there too, because I managed to get back to my hobby of reading books.

Nothing much happened, just that I saw fellow schoolmates; Beverly, Chun Kiat and Mei Yin.


Skipping to the next day...

I decided to bring her out again, this time my choice. I chose IKEA/Giant, since they were side by side. And she loves Giant, and I love IKEA. But then she argued that it was far, and waste of time because the only thing we would be doing was drooling over things we wanted. So I told her to pick another place and we settled on IMM.

This was where something interesting began.

We bought our meals, and to our horror, could not really enjoy it because the inconsiderate people were dragging/lifting/pushing their chairs really noisily. I wonder if people living in that area were taught to do it noisily because everyone there seemed to be doing it, and none of them seemed to be bothered by it, except my mum and I. It was an unpleasant meal, but we decided to settle for dessert as well.


Apparently, it wasn't my lucky day. The dessert stall was manned by China workers (I think so, from hearing their accent). Anyway, the lady that was serving me was pissed that someone was spreading rumours about her. And her colleagues and her were arguing over something. (It was all in Mandarin and I am glad that I managed to understand some of it, unfortunately not all.) There were three of them, including the girl serving me. They argued LOUDLY about 20 feet apart each other. And the girl serving me was pissed and she was going on and on loudly. Everyone were looking at me, and her. And I was disappointed at how professional they were. I stood there for about 5 minutes while she went on and on, even in-between scoops of my durian ice kachang.

Then suddenly, one of the colleague said something that pulled the trigger. The girl that served me was about to burst. She spoke so loudly, and even stormed furiously towards them. It was really loud, the arguments, you know how high pitch and fast they can go. Secretly, my mum and I were waiting for some "action" to happen.

wrestling Pictures, Images and Photos

But sadly, one of the In-Charge stepped in to stop the whole commotion. And that was it.


But it is not my first time seeing unprofessional foreigners doing things like this. There was once when I was in the train and a lady (whom I think is also from China, from the way she spoke and looked) who was wearing a dress, actually sat with her legs up in the train! It was really disgusting because her private and panty could be seen. It was a total "Squatting position". Imagine that. Fortunately, it was the last train, and there wasn't much people in the train.


I'm not saying that I dislike foreigners or anything. But I wonder if Singaporeans would do the same too. I doubt so.

No comments:

Post a Comment