Friday, September 05, 2008

I never felt like this before.

The Graduation that I attended on Wednesday was Magnificent. It was held at the Convention Centre and we were seated in Ballroom 1.

The whole ceremony was very much like a Harry Potter scenario, where the Deans of each faculty marched in with the lecturers. The music and the march very much resembled the scene from Harry Potter and The Goblet OF Fire, where students from the 3 different schools march into Hogwarts with their own style.

Like this:






Not to forget, each lecturer and dean wore cloaks and hats in colours, according to their faculty. It was mystical.


I don't have the photos yet, but I'll try to upload some soon, as soon as I get it from my brother.




Sidetrack : Speaking of Harryp Potter, did you know this?

Daniel Radcliffe has revealed he wants to play a drag queen in his next movie so he can wear 'loads of eye make-up'.

Daniel Radcliffe wants to play a drag queen in his next movie.

The 'Harry Potter' star confessed he would love to land the unusual role because it would allow him to dress as a woman and wear make-up.
He said: 'I think part of me would love to play a drag queen, just because it would be an excuse to wear loads of eye make-up.'
Daniel admits taking on such a part would be one of the most rebellious things he has ever done.

He revealed: 'I don't pretend to do anything particularly wild. People talk about rebellion and they say, 'Where is the teenage angst?' But I say I try to do it simply by the choices I make in the work I do. I just like wrong-footing people. I write poetry and I love it. I like being different from most other people in my generation.'

Daniel, who is currently single, also revealed he has no interest in finding a girlfriend because he is too busy.
He added to Details magazine: 'Most of my friends have been girls, and I see how they are with their boyfriends and I think, I couldn't do that. I just don't have the time.




Interesting isn't it?



Moving to the Movie screening. What was disappointing was that I did not make in time for the movie screening, and so, I did not manage to catch the movie, The Days.


But I'm still going to blog about.


You can read the synopsis, view the trailer and even download wallpapers
Here



At first when I saw the introduction, I thought that it was going to be a movie about 'Tok-kong gangsters in Singapore who used parangs to fight because they had no idea what one another were talking in their "Broken English". But after I saw the trailer and read the synopsis, I figured that it would not be as bad as I thought. I also realised that this story had a deeper meaning behind, rather than the heavy parang slashings going on. This story was brotherhood, how one man tried to teach his younger brother Independence.


This movie actually reminded me of a "gangster" movie I once saw. It's none other than '15: The Movie' by Royston Tan.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Synopsis (Taken from Zhaowei.com/) :

The adventure of five fifteen year old boys in Singapore: estranged to every social reference, except for that of appearance and close friendships, they live their lives distant from their families and school, passing their days in a complete state of indolence in the search of experiences, at times even physically painful (tattoos, piercing, wounds). Their imaginary is completely colonized by MTV, cartoons, electronic jingles, publicity and comics.

Interpreted by street-kids that belong to the group they represent, this audacious and disturbing first work by the twenty-six year old Royston Tan explores an adolescent world, dramatically marked by the conflictual under-culture and complete addiction to video clip and videogame aesthetics. The existential suburban hardship, compared to the bright "western" and "English speaking" metropolis, is consumed through moving and desperate dialogues inscribed in a progression of disturbing sequences, similar to short sketches that slowly reconstruct the relational, psychological and family dynamics of the five boys. A sincere and lyrical film but at the same time irreverent, scandalous and extreme, an expression of Singapore cinema, unknown and emerging.



You can catch the Trailer
Here


If you're really interested in watching the Movie, you can
Click Here.


Just so you know:


Censorship
While 15: The Movie was initially banned in Singapore, the
Singapore Board of Film Censors (BFC) later ruled that the film should be rated R(A). Under pressure from the BFC, Royston Tan ended up making 27 cuts to the film Opposition was also raised against the heavy use of the Hokkien language in the film,[citation needed] which is discouraged by the Singapore government in favour of Mandarin and English. These restrictions infuriated Tan, and would later lead him to create his satirical short film Cut.

Critical reception
The film received mixed reviews from film critics. In
Rotten Tomatoes, it earned ratings of 50% based on 10 reviews and 20% based on 5 top critics. In Metacritic, the film earned a metascore of 47% based on 6 reviews


Awards
FIPRESCI/NETPAC Award,
Singapore International Film Festival (2003)

Best Fiction, Tampere International Short Film Festival (2003)

Prize of the Youth Film Competition (Special Mention), Oberhausen International Short Film Festival (2003)

Grand Prix Asturias (nominated), Gijón International Film Festival (2003)

Best Director, Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema (2004


Trivia
15: The Movie has been advertised outside of Singapore in
gay publications, due to the heavy homoerotic tension between the characters. However, in an interview segment of the DVD Royston's Shorts, a collection of Tan's short films, Tan affirms that the boys whose lives he portrayed do not identify as gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment