Monday, May 25, 2009

Colourless

If you have been checking out my twitter and my previous post, you'd realize that I did brought up a topic about everyone on Earth being colourblind. What on Earth am I talking about? Well, it pretty much has to do with Racism.



I have always been bringing up issues about Racism that it pretty much sounds boring here. However, my friends, this entire post is about looking at racism in a different way.

What got me inspired to bring up Racism again? Let's just put it as 'Seeing and hearing too much' about it, especially from superiors whom I never expect would do so.


My opening statement for this topic: All of us are racist.

Now before you begin bombarding me with hateful comments, trying to separate yourselves from the term Racist, hear me out.

Remember the time someone asked you about another person? Not knowing his/her name, you begin describing their features; how tall they are, how they usually dress and so on.

I'm sure most of you are already thinking "What's so Racist about that?". Well, here is what makes it racist. I bet out of ten who reads this, at least 7 or 8 would have described the person, starting with the race first.

"You don't know who he is meh? The Malay boy, always wear skater shoes one lah. Got piercing here and there one. Quite tall, then always carry this and that, etc...".

To me, a racist does not necessarily mean you are someone who discriminates that certain race or cultural group.



To me, a racist is someone who draws a line between a race from another, even if it is by describing or using certain terms to describe them. In our case, the description of people is what disgust me. True enough, I am one of the many who describes someone starting with the assumed race first. However, I am trying to make an effort to change too. People do not deserve to be judged based on their skin colour or their race.

It is revolting to hear people term all Indians as Chee-ko-peks just because there have been a few cases where the Bangladeshis workers were involved in certain cases. It is even more disgusting to hear people conclude "Like all Indians" and so on. Note that this is merely an example of the terms used. I believe that there are many more racist terms that are used against innocent people.

Why am I being so aggresive against this topic? Well, I have had enough of people trying to guess my race and also, all the racist issues going on. It is definitely verbal harressment and needless to say, it is ridiculous.

How much for you to be in my shoes for a day? You'll experience the looks on people face when they hear that you are of mixed heritage, and that your dad is Indian. You'll not only get to see their facial expression change, but you'll also get to see how they begin avoiding you.


Truth to be told, Poly Life has been more smooth in terms of racist attacks from people. However, I still do get remarks from certain people about my heritage.

And for the record, the terms 'Black' and 'Negros' are equivalent to calling other races as cunts and pigs. So please stop terming people like so.


Shall we all make an effort to change then?


No comments:

Post a Comment