Sunday, December 09, 2007

American idol, Singapore idol, India idol!

Having to make comparisons of our Singapore Idol to American Idol, would be utterly disgraceful. For the fact that we had participants like Steven Lim (http://www.stevenlim.net/)



who tried so hard to nail a mediacorp contract. I'm in no position to judge this, but I think Singapore should have saved that film and not embarrass ourselves by broadcasting it on TV.


I do agree that there would be a bunch of insane people on every show that has an audition, even American idol had WANNA-BES. But Steven Lim is just too overboard.

If you don't agree, check this out.









He can't even speak in proper English!





Anyway, the main point is not NOT to criticize Steven Lim, but to actually give a standing ovation to India Idol! I myself, did not know that such a competition existed, until my brother showed it to me.

And I must say, that the winner, Prashant Tamang, is one fantastic singer!

I google-ed him and I managed to find his bio on www.wikipedia.org/.


Prashant Tamang (Nepali: प्रशान्त तामाङ) is a Kolkata-based singer and winner of Indian Idol season 3. He is the first contestant of Indian Nepalese origin to make it to the final rounds of Indian Idol and finally win. He is also the first person from the Indian police force to enter the final rounds. After the death of his father, Prashant, who was still in school, had to leave school and join Kolkata Police to support his family. He was a favorite to win the competition due to strong backing from the people of Nepalese origin and the Indian police force. Even as the results were yet to be announced on television, several news sources had reported Prashant's winning the competition.


[contents]

Prashant Tamang was born in Tungsung, Darjeeling, West Bengal to Rupa Tamang and Late Madan Tamang. He spent most of his early life there and studied in St. Roberts school. After the demise of his father, Madan Tamang, in an accident, he joined the Kolkata Police Force, succeeding his father. In Kolkata Police, he sang for the police orchestra. His family includes his grandmother, mother and his sister.

[edit] Indian Idol

According to the program commentary, Prashant tried out for Indian Idol because his friends and his seniors especially Mr. Zulfiqar Hasan, Special Additional Commissioner of Police(who incidentally also got Prashant's leave sanctioned for the competition) told him that his voice was very good.He auditioned in Kolkata. He received mixed comments from judges after his performances. He is the only contestant to have never been in the bottom 3 or 4 of the galas. He made it to the top 2 of Indian Idol 3 along with Amit Paul, before eventually winning the title.

Here are a few of the videos which he sang in.




















I couldn't understand the song one bit, but i LOVED the way he sang the songs. Just. lovely. I can't wait till he releases an album of his own.


Speaking of albums, I blog-hopped and found out(from Yiling's blog), that Paul Twohill has released his own song.

I immediately played the song on the site and somehow, liked it. See, I'm not a great big fan of Paul Twohill, but I must say, that this song, does not have any Singaporean stuff to it. Like If you closed your eyes, you wouldn't know that a Singaporean did. Well, I'm just saying..


Anyway, I couldn't get any video to it, just this site. So go check it out.

Click me!

No comments:

Post a Comment