Monday, December 31, 2007

Master pieces

I remember how much I dread going to art class since Sec 1. Don't get me wrong, I love Art. But I somehow was afraid of going to art class, because the teachers' standard of marking were so strict. In Art, you had to be Perfect, making this look proportionate, having to have the shadings done right so that the picture doesn't have the light shining at a wrong position, or the ratio of the bottle neck to the base of the base of the bottle done just right, so that it looks nice.

I always felt pressured in Art class because it never was like Primary school Art, where we could simply splatter paint all over the paper and our teachers would grade us with a job well done. But over time, I liked how much pressure I was in, and eventually fell in love with the Art classes because I learned that in Art, perfect isn't what the teacher wants, it's the amount of hard work, effort that you put into the art piece.

Well, I did some cleaning-up in my room and I managed to find some of my old art pieces. They're not really fantastic, but, I looked at them piece by piece, and noticed how much my drawing style has changed.

I hated doing "Know Drugs" art pieces, and this one was a combination of Chinese New Year and Know Drugs. I was willing to do a piece, but our teacher kept reminding those who didn't hand any in. It was better to and in than to get a big fat zero. Back then, grades were very important to me. Hahah. But this looks really pathetic because no effort was put into it.
Photobucket







I did this next piece and called it "My complicated Life". My Teacher gave us the choice to do anything, so long as it had something to do with strings. I drew a little man running along the strings, which are all messy and jumbled up. This shows that although the road is in front of us, we have a lot of problems ahead of us, because in Life, nothing goes as smooth as silk. I was quite an emo back then, hahah.

Photobucket

Photobucket






Our teacher, then took us to a level higher, by asking us to draw realistic items. I sucked at this big time, and often got pretty low marks for it, thus I gave a "bo-chap" attitude towards the following art pieces.


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


I felt really demoralized and wanted so hard to prove that I could draw well. And so I did the next piece, and got great remarks for it. I was so happy that I started improving a lot on myself.


Photobucket

Photobucket


After that piece, my teacher told us to start drawing things that had flowers with shadings. I was so excited because Flowers were my favorite and shadings were a plus point for it! I love shading because it made things look realistic.

I did the next two pieces and guess what, I got Full marks for it!!! A dream come true for me, because Art wasn't a subject that I could get full marks in.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Full marks baby!!


Photobucket

Photobucket

If you're wondering what shape the flowers are in, It's my hand.

Photobucket


I left secondary 2 with one of my favorite pieces, other than the above ones. But the marks were a bit of a disappointment though. I thought I deserved better marks and so I approached the examiner and she replied "are you testing my marking skills?" During the exams though, there were teachers crowding around my table. I thought that I was in deep trouble, because during exams, you shouldn't have teachers crowding around you. But by the end of the exams, Mr.Ni actually told me that he really liked my art piece and he wished me good luck in getting high marks for it. I hoped for high marks too, but I only scored a 80/100. Oh well.

The theme was to design a book cover and I did one with the title "The secret City", drawing a mermaid with building underwater to show that beneath the sea bed, mermaids and their cities do exist, just like "Little Mermaid".

The title
Photobucket

The Full version
Photobucket

I think my mermaid looks hot. Hahah

Photobucket



I was looking forward to Secondary three because I thought that there were art classes, but to my great disappointment, there weren't any. I guess my batch is for the science classes.

I think that by making my batch not have any art classes, great talents like Beverly, Boon Hong and Meiyin lose out on a great talent that can really bring them forth.



Anyway, The New Year is coming in less that 48 hours. I hope everyone do have a blessed New Year! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment