Monday, June 06, 2011

Pass the Fast

Last Friday, I participated in an event in school called "Pass the Fast". 

Basically, "Pass the Fast" is a one day, or rather, eight hour campaign that aims in raising awareness for those hit by hunger and poverty around the world. This movement is also in conjunction to the 30 hour famine camp (17 - 18 June) organized by World Vision and HMS as part of an outreach initiative. 



I must say it was a fantastic idea from the School of Humanities (and not because I am from that school!) because I personally found it to be really meaningful.

I chose to fast from footwear, and managed to get both Natalie and Iris to fast with me. The reason why I chose to fast from those was because I felt that most of us always took for granted of the privileges and comfort that we have in life, and since I always enjoy walking, I wanted to feel how it would have been like to not have the privilege of owning shoes, and so, I began my 8 hour barefoot journey around the school campus.  

The tenderness of an innocent child's feet on the harsh cruelty of Mother Nature

My experience:

When I first took off my shoes at the Atrium, I suddenly became really self-conscious about the stares I would be getting for being barefooted. Thoughts about people thinking that I am attention seeking, lame, pathetic, were running through my head at that moment. And it was not really helping that I was being a real whiny ass bitch about what I was going through. The roads were blazing hot, and I slipped a couple of times because of the pouring rain in the afternoon. I even dirtied a flight of stairs that a cleaner was mopping, and stepped on a drain without realizing that I was without any footwear. I could literally feel the wrath of Mother Nature on that day, and even though I told the two girls that I regretted this decision, I was kinda' glad I stuck by it for that 8 hours.

 

Even though I ended the day with feet full of blisters, I came to a realization, and that I was the only one creating a mess for myself. I found out that no one really noticed that I was being barefooted, and those who did, only had positive comments and encouragement for what I was doing. And this whole activity made me appreciate the financial stability of my family. As much as I loved squishing in mud and shimmy-ing on slippery floors, walking barefooted from one end to the other was torturous. And I only did it for 8 hours, I wonder how the kids in other part of the world bare it, especially when they have to travel from one end to the other, on tough terrains, by foot. I guess they were not given a choice :(

I am glad though, for this event was an eye-opener, and I am sure whatever that I have experienced would gear me up for the many more adventures that are awaiting me. Till then...


Did you pass the fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment