Friday, September 10, 2010

Forgive me, for I shall repent

Having to be born with skin colour a tad darker than Chinese, and having facial features that are a tad different from the large eyed Indians, people often mistake me for a Muslim. Now, this might not be a bad thing for some of you guys, but to me, it has been something that I have a difficult time trying to adapt to.


Before you start jumping to conclusions and begin accusing me of being a racist, let me first tell you that I am in no way against the Muslims and their religion.

It is just that every time Ramadhan approaches, I cringe in fear of being judged by some people. No, it is not because of the 'Mat and Minah' stereotypes that I get, but because of how I have to hide whenever I eat or hide my tattoo during this month.




Why, you say? Well, as mentioned earlier, many have assumed that I am a Muslim and often glare at me when I head out to head to eat before 'Itfar' or the time for breaking fast. I know most might think of not giving a damn to these people because obviously their assumptions of me being a Muslim is wrong. However, ignoring is not really blissful in this situation. This is because I have been hit with an umbrella by an elderly lady while I was having an ice cream at the bus stop. People have also come up to me and scolded me, accusing me of not having any dignity by eating in public when I am supposed to fast.


However, I have to admit, that this year was not as bad as I thought it would be because I spent most of my time at home. However, I was called an 'Anak Sial', 'Idiot child', and a pig all because I was caught having some candy, and I wore pants that had my tattoo showing, and also because of my piercings, I think. It does not really matter much to me anymore, because I have long forgiven you accusers, for the sake of humanity :)




After all, Hari Raya is about forgiving and repenting right? Anyways, here is just a little note to wish all my Muslim friends, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri!


Have a blast reminiscing the past, forgiving each other, and filling your bellies with loads and loads of goodies!


Here's an awesome Petronas video to end this post. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment