Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kids are forever kids

"Kids nowadays ah..."


I used to glare vehemently at the person/people who dared utter that phrase. I hated how the "older" generation always compared us to them, then. And how they described our every action with so much exaggeration that it seemed us kids were such a humiliation to them, even by existing in their presence.


But overtime, I got to understand why the "older" generation made such crude remarks on us kids.

A couple of days ago, I got to experience one of the idiotic things that kids did. I was on my way to school for one of my exam papers, and to my horror, there was a bunch of indecently dressed students from my school, who were walking or so it seems, in a big group, opposite of me. They were walking so slowly that I managed to size them up, each and every one of them.

The girls had their fringes flowing opulently down their face, and their skirts were so short and skimpy, that it could not even fit the size of a napkin. Their blouses were so low, that it almost seemed like a night gown. And to make matters worst, their bags they carried were so low, that it continuously hit their bums as they walked.

The guys on the other hand, had pants so low, that their butt cracks would be visible if not for their untucked shirts. Some had piercings all over their faces, from their mouth, to their ears, to their tongues. And they seemed almost like a lizard, showing off their tongue stud, and their long tail/fringes. And not to forget, they were constantly spitting o the floor.

I wonder how they hid all these from the teachers in school.

Their looks did not really bother me that much. Instead I was more dissappointed in the way they showed themselves. They were spouting vulgarities, with each of them saying the C and F word every ten seconds. They laughed and communicated (I wouldn't say it was talking) so loudly, that I was sure they could compete with, and win my neighbourhood's popiah-seller.


One of the most ridiculous thing that I saw, was that a couple of the girls, who were walking at the front, was actually walking backwards, with their backs facing me, so that they could hear in on the ongoing conversations within the group. And as I was approaching the group, no one informed the girls, nor did any of them budge, so as to make way for me to walk through.

I was very much pissed off, because they were walking in such a big group, so much that there wasn't any space left, and yet when people wanted to walk past, we had to give way to them? It was really stupid because as I looked at them, I realised that all of them apparently, pretended that they did not see me. I was even more furious when an elderly lady happened to past by and then did the same thing to her.


This incident is just one of the many that I have seen and heard of "kids nowadays ah..". And I am sure that it is not only from my school, but from other schools, in fact every where in Singapore, that kids are behaving just the same.

I do not know if this is Singapore's kids' way of showcasing their uniqueness, but I am still disappointed at the rate that it is going. I am sure that there are other ways to showcase our uniqueness.


It is usual for the older generation to dislike "kids nowadays" especially with news articles of underage teens having sex, drinking and even bullying.

And what's more ironic is that, there are kids out there, like me, who also dislike "kids nowadays", as we feel that the human species has split into two. One being the sane kids, the other being the barbaric, almost stone age-like hooligans.

The latter has indeed tarnished the "cute, innocent and angel-like" descriptions that parents usually gave to kids. Yes, every one wants to have fun every once in a while, but does it have to go to an extend of showcasing barbaric acts? I wonder if they behave the same at home.



It seems like the stone revolution is back. I just wonder when the dinosaurs would come back.



And to the kids out there, if you think behaving like the above mentioned is cool, IT'S NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment