Thursday, November 08, 2007

Deepavali & Friends

First, I would like to wish ALL Hindus and those who are celebrating, A Very HAPPY Deepavali.

It's 12.42am right now and I completed cleaning up my room roughly half an hour after 12am.

I'm not sure about the other religions, but, the Hindus believe that when the clock strikes 12am on the Actual Day, the God and Goddesses of Wealth, Luck and Health would come knocking our door. Well, it's not literally knocking on our doors, but more like "sprinkling" Wealth, Health and Luck on us and our things. That is why Hindus have to clean up, both the house and themselves by 11.45, so as to not miss the "blessings" of the Gods and goddesses.

Well, I know I'm late, but Gods and Goddesses do come late sometimes right? Oh well, I'll just hug my dogs who have not been moving around, other than snuggling up to the pillows on the floor of my bedroom.

For those confused children out there who are wondering what Deepavali actually is, let me explain...

Deepavali is a festival where people from all age groups participate. They give expression to their happiness by lighting earthen 'diyas' (lamps), decorating the houses, bursting firecrackers and inviting near and dear ones to their households for partaking in a sumptuous feast. The lighting of lamps is a way of paying obeisance to god for attainment of health, wealth, knowledge, peace, valor and fame.

It is one time in the whole year that children volunteer to leave their beds long before the day begins. In fact, the traditional oil bath at 3 a.m, is the only chore that stands between them and the pre-dawn adventures. They emerge, scrubbed clean to get into their festive attire, and light up little oil lamps, candles and scented sticks(agarbathis), the wherewithal for setting alight crackers and sparklers.

On Diwali night, little clay lamps are lit in Hindus homes, but now a days colored electric lamps are also used. What is the significance of lighting a lamp? There is a logical answer to this question. It is through the light that the beauty of this world is revealed or experienced. Most civilizations of the world recognize the importance of light as a gift of God. It has always been a symbol of whatever is positive in our world of experience.

To Hindus, darkness represents ignorance, and light is a metaphor for knowledge. Therefore, lighting a lamp symbolizes the destruction, through knowledge, of all negative forces- wickedness, violence, lust, anger, envy, greed, bigotry, fear, injustice, oppression and suffering, etc. Competition is stiff, and even the little girl in silk frocks and their finery are watching out for the best sparklers and flowerpots, the rockets and Vishnuchakras, which light-up the night sky like a thousand stars. Grown-ups are the soul of generosity. Festive bonhomie abounds.

Anyway, the reason why I missed the 12am deadline was solely because i went shopping today. Yes, I did a last minute Deepavali shopping for new clothes and my partner in crime was Lim Jing Yee. Hahahah, I have to say that she's one patient girl. Because when it comes to shopping with me, you'll regret it because I am one picky, indecisive girl who always falls in love with two or more designs and then takes a looooong time to decide which one to buy.
But i did have fun though, because I finally got to shop, after a long period of caging myself at home.


Moving on...


This post was supposed to be contributed to a handful of my friends whom I feel, should be mentioned here because not only have they helped me through thick and thin, they actually watched me grow into a more matured person, both physically and mentally. haha. Let me start off with..


SYUHADA

I must say that you're one of the closest friend that I have. You're always around when i need you. And I know that I can ALWAYS rely on you if I ever need help. I really admire you being easy going, when back in your personal Life, you have so many things to overcome by yourself. Your matured yet bubbly demeanor always gives me comfort in confiding "issues" to you. And you can be one GREAT bitching partner too. Hahaha.

It's okay if we can't sit to have a chat every once in a while. You spending time with your class isn't wrong at all. I actually gotta' say that I really look up to your class, because everyone comes from different backgrounds, have different characteristics and have different opinions. But, everyone thinks and works as ONE. And for that, 3E5 deserves a standing ovation. So does your form teacher. Cherish the efforts and time that she spends with you guys, because before you know it, you'll graduate as quick as a snap, without having time to sit back and enjoy everything that has passed. Besides, o levels are catching up on us and I'm sure everyone sets studies as their first priority. So fret not, I am sure that we'll have ample time to catch up once the o levels are over.


RAUDAH If you ever read this.

I loved the times when we sat at the back of the class, mocking and imitating "Baboon". I remember the times when we always got into trouble even though it wasn't our fault at all. I guess teachers hated us because we got along so well, and were always the culprits for anything that happened in class. I still remembered the time when we stuck double sided tape on the Teacher's chair. It was hilarious, but unfortunately, it happened to the wrong teacher.

I would really like to thank you, for covering up for me. From the time when "Baboon" accused me of things that I did not do, to the times when I skipped school for the plain fun of it. And for making my lower secondary life, such an enjoyable one. You, together with Syuhada, helped me forget about the miseries that I encountered day by day in school and added pinches of laughter and joy into my miserable life.

Although we don't meet at all, or talk as much as we do, We still do talk once in awhile about "Foundaces" and I'm glad that after such a long time, we still have some bitching sessions.


AAINAA

My life savior for 2007. Not only have you saved me from teacher interrogations, but you also helped me with my schoolwork. I must say that I am very thankful for your help because without it, I wouldn't have passed my exams. Your "bo-chap" encouragement, although it may seem down right frank, but it always makes me think twice. Thank you for always making me think before making my decision and for gaining trust in me and opening to me.

Although we may not have set off from a good start, I am glad that I have you as a friend because you're also one of my good friends whom I share my problems to, and another one of my bitching-kakis.
And you're also someone who is always there to laugh with. Contagious eh!

SHAHIRAH

MAMA G!
You're the most dramatic friend that I've ever had and I really think that you deserve the "drama Queen of 3e1" title.

What I like about you is that you are always willing to stand by your friends and fight for what is right, rather than blindly abiding the rules. You're a great person whom I can turn to, for opinions because I know that other than giving the opinions, you give your reasons for that opinion. You're someone special who takes things given to you seriously and is someone who always finds the reasonings behind things. You'll always encourage your friends to study hard and do the right things, rather than focus on the "doesn't help o'levels" things.

And lastly, you're someone whom I will turn to, just to see you sing or to get some drama on! I believe that you'll achieve your dreams one day.




It's getting late and I need some sleep because I have to get up early tomorrow for the morning prayers. If you're wondering, no, I'm not a Hindu. My Dad is, that is why I have to go through all this. It's not a burden actually, it's a privilege because not everyone get to experience Chinese New Year(MUM), Deepavali (DAD) and Christmas(MUM and BROTHER).

Anyway, Before I leave, I'd like to say that the reason why this post is dedicated to my close friends, is because Mr Imran once said that the only friends that you'll have (once you're a graduate or start working) would be the ones whom schooled with you during your secondary school days. And so I feel that we should cherish and remember everyone that we befriend during these few years because you'll never know who might be the one who'll always be by your side in the near future. It's always the thought that counts.



The following videos are to ALL of my friends.



BY YOUR SIDE








Always And Forever








Anytime You need A Friend






Circle Of Friends







Crash N Burn







Graduation Song - Friends Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment