Friday, September 28, 2007

Speak Good English

I've been hanging around with my mom and brothers lately. And I've gotten great "point of views" from them.

As you can see in my title, it talks about the badge that students have to put on as part of their uniforms and also to remind them to speak good English. I found it nonsensical and idiotic to have to be reminded constantly about having to speak English. My brother then told me that his school, Laselle, also had this Speak good English campaign. In fact, this campaign was promoted all over Singapore.

He too, found in nonsensical. Although he didn't have a badge, his school was constantly reminded to speak good English. But, what is the point of this whole thing when 3/4 of his lecturers are not Singaporeans? They're either form British or some other English speaking countries and clearly their spoken language is much ahead of us.


Further more, what is the point of telling us to not use Singlish when the whole campaign itself is in Singlish?
I mean, you don't go around telling people to speak good English, you tell them to speak proper English.
See, this shows that even our government has a singlish mentality that even holding campaigns in proper English standards is a difficult task for all Singaporeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment