Monday, March 08, 2010

The reason why I hate the world

Because I am a minor.

If you are a person who has skin of another colour; if you are a lady, if you are gay, bisexual, a lesbian, a transgender; if you are someone who has a size, then you are considered a minor as well. Being in a world where gossip, fashion and skinny people (who claim that they are fat) are everywhere, it is difficult to sustain our diminishing confidence because of their perfection. Therefore it makes us uncomfortable and deep down, we are unsettled. This is because of the need to find the answer as to why we not able to be up to standard with them. However, as one slowly begins one’s journey to unravel the clues to the answer, one’s wall of confidence slowly fades away as one suddenly feels the humiliation of being incompetent, or rather, imperfect. And in time to come, lose one’s self-esteem and all forms of self belief because of one’s very own imperfect conditions.

But is it all worth it?

Sometimes when I catch myself comparing my imperfections with other people’s perfection, I remind myself that I need to love and support myself more because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty to me is not measured by how much your body jiggles, nor is it measured based on the type of clothes you put on. No, beauty is not measured with a label. Yeah, I shop at Giant, Carrefour, and even Daiso, and I am proud to say that I don’t spend unnecessarily on things that cost more than a MacDonald meal. Why should I waste on buying things that other people already have, when I can actually improvise and create my own and still feel comfortable and good in them? After all, beauty is not about the latest fashion, but the authenticity in you which would make you feel good.

There are tones of products, magazines and advertisements that would make you feel that you’re ugly, old and pathetic. And if you are not proud of being who you are, you will give in and waste your hard earned money on products that barely make a different to how you look. But truth to be told, cosmetics are supposed to enhance your beauty, so don’t hide it under layers and layers of unnecessary foundation. It not only makes you look like a wax doll, but it makes you fake.

But at the end of the day, it is not about beauty anymore. It is about your confidence. Without confidence, you are not able to live on in life because of your fear and hesitation. You would hesitate about every single thing that you should do. You would hesitate fighting against discrimination on your looks, gender, size, race and even rights. You would be afraid to ask for a pay raise. You would also hesitate on falling in love, and even hesitate on dreaming, or having a goal. Why? Because you feel that ‘imperfect’ people like you deserve this hellish world. But for how long can you go on like this?

Some say you can never be beautiful if you’re fat, ugly, or poor. I say being beautiful is about how much you love yourself, trust your own judgment, and believe in yourself. You are not worthless. In fact, you are beautiful and you should be proud of that.




Happy Women's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment